During the English rule, the missionary education was very popular in Sri Lanka. IN the mean time, schools came into being gradually for the Sinhala Buddhists to have English education. During this period, a 13 member committee of interested nobles was appointed to found a Shinala Buddhist school in Keglle as a branch of Ananda College, Colombo. Weweladeniya temple was a paper by the name of “Kegalle English Buddhist College” was commenced. The following powerful persons were selected as members of the aforesaid committee.
- Mr.Minister of State Council Speaker Francis Molamure (President)
- Mr.Advocate C.R.Gunarathna (Vice President)
- Mr.P.B.Balasooriya (Secretary)
- Mr.K.G.Charles (Treasurer)
- Mr.K.G.Piyadasa (Representative of Sidhdharth Society)
- Mr.Peter Rajakaruna (Representative of Sidhdhartha Society)
As said above, this committee organized events like Salpila, Muscial Shows and drama and approached well wishesers and nobles to consolidate the need for an English Buddhist school and constructed a school building and commenced the “Kegalle Vidyalaya” on 14.02.1942. It is worth mentioning here that, initial details were obtained from Colombo Ananda Vidyalaya.
The first principal Mr.K.L.D.Alagiyawanna, who appointed as first principal of this school to be commemorated gratefully. Initially this school was commenced as a mixed school. Gradually a girls school was founded for the girls. As the school was in progress, there was a need for the school to make a logo and a flag. Accordingly, as a first flag of the school was published in the news paper released on 20.02.1942 with the sun in the middle in figures of the moon either sides and with 12 stars as the flag of the Kegalle Vidyalaya. We are pleased to inform that, the school showed progress gradually with the use of this flag and with the dauntless efforts taken by then Principal Mr.R.M. Abeywardana and Deputy Principal Dr.K.Jinadasa Perera the school was promoted to
be a Grade 1 school.
During this period, there was a need for the leading school to bring out a Magazine to show their progress, give details and bring out the talents of their students. Accordingly, a Magazine was released by the name of “Vidyalaya”. Because of the heavy work of the principal Mr.R.M.Abeywardana, the deputy principal Dr.K.Jinadasa Perara played an imported role in bringing out this
There were the students worked as editors of this journal, they are Mr.Y.M.H.Wilson Bandara, who retired from service attached as secretary of the Kegalle Hospital, Proctor H.Dharmadasa Ranasinghe and E.M.G.Edirisinghe, who worked as commissioner of Inland Revenue and now retaired from service.